uDiamond® SDND Plating Additive
Monodispersed NanoDiamond additive for Electrolytic Plating.
Increases the abrasion resistance of plated layers up to 200% by co-depostion of nanodiamond particles, without compromise to other coating parameters.
Carbodeon uDiamond® plating additive specific characteristics of the solid material in dispersion
- Nanodiamond crystal size 2 ± 0.5 nm
- Nanodiamond content ≥ 97 wt.%
- Oxidisable carbon content ≤ 2.5 wt.%
- Metallic incombustible impurity content ≤ 1.2 wt.%
- Crystal lattice constant 3573 ± 0.0005 nm
Carbodeon uDiamond® plating additive specific characteristics in the dispersion
- pH of dispersion 4-8
- Concentration of nanodiamonds in dispersion 2 wt. %
- Zeta potential positive
Main application areas include
- Food & pharmaceutical processing (reduced abrasion reduces material migration by 2/3).
- Machine & Industrial parts
- Electronics, micro-electronics
- Automotive, aerospace
Applicable Plating Systems
- Electrolytic nickel
- Other plating systems including gold, silver, CrIII etc. in pH range 2-6- contact Carbodeon for applications
- Electroless nickel legacy applications (for new applications, see uDiamond® Plating Additive for Electroless Nickel)
- Plating systems in pH 4-6: nanodiamond concentration 0.05g/litre (ultrasonically dispersed) or 0.1g/litre after pre-dilution with distilled water.
- Plating systems in pH <4: Increased nanodiamond concentration up to 1.0g/litre, ultrasonic dispersion may be required during material addition.
- Increase in wear resistance: up to 200%
- Improvement in tribological properties (oleophilic diamond surface).
- Is this a hard chrome replacement? uDiamond®Plating Additive brings a substantial improvement to the performance of nickel plating and in certain applications has been used to enable hard chrome plating to be substituted with a nickel based alternative, however it is not designed to be a universal replacement for hard chrome.
- Can I use this in Cr3 plating? Carbodeon is currently developing a new nanodiamond product optimised for use in Cr3 plating systems, please contact us.
- Can I use this in any other plating systems? Carbodeon is constantly extending its application coverage, please contact us with your inquiry.